The OAL-Ireland is chosen to be the Ringsend area in Dublin, located at the lower part of the Dodder river basin. The basin is located at the southern part of Dublin. The Dodder river originates from Dublin mountains and meets the river Liffey near Ringsend. The length of the river is ~27km and the area of the basin is ~113km2.
Ringsend is close to the tech district of the city and thus of high economic interest to the city.
MOTIVATION FOR CHOICE ACCORDING TO HAZARD EXPOSURE AND ASSET VALUE
– River flows through many rural, suburban, urban and residential areas
POSSIBLE NATURE-BASED AND HYBRID SOLUTIONS
– Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SUDS) as NBS for the flooding with quick response to extreme precipitation through the application of the concept of:
– constructed wetlands
– riparian buffer areas
– buffer zones with several vegetated areas
– bio-engineering solutions
– promoting practices to reduce water usage
Have a question, feedback or want to work with us?