OAL Finland the Lake Puruvesi catchment (1017 km2) locates in the eastern Finland. The nexceptionally oligrotrophic, clearwater and humic Lake Puruvesi (416km2) belongs to the Natura 2000 network. The main land-use is forestry, with minor areas in agriculture, peat harvesting and urban land-use.
Activities related these land-uses and infrequently occurring of high runoff peaks due to heavy rain or snowmelt impose nutrient (P, N) and sediment load risks and thus threaten recreation, fishing professional and recreational) and biodiversity of the area.
Lake Puruvesi (416 km2) in Eastern Finland between South-Savo and North-Karelian regions
MOTIVATION FOR CHOICE ACCORDING TO HAZARD EXPOSURE AND ASSET VALUE
– Flooding, extreme precipitation
– Representative example of inland water system in the northern Europe
– Nutrient loads caused by extreme precipitation
– Habitat for submerged macrophytes, and recreation site
POSSIBLE NATURE-BASED AND HYBRID SOLUTIONS
– NBS able to slow down the water flow in order to allow water-borne nutrients and sediments to descend into the water passage or recesses created next to it
– Construction of sedimentation ponds and pits, buffer zones, wetlands and peak runoff control structures in the catchment areas and selection/limitation of forest management practices
Have a question, feedback or want to work with us?