OPERANDUM will deliver tools and methods for the demonstration and market uptake of Nature-Based Solutions to reduce hydro-meteorological risks. Nature-Based Solutions (NBS) are solutions that are inspired and supported by nature. These solutions provide environmental, social and economic benefits and help build resilience by bringing natural features into cities and landscapes.
In the OPERANDUM project, site-specific and innovative NBS are co-designed, co-developed, deployed, tested and demonstrated with partners and local stakeholders in open-air laboratories. These open-air laboratories (OALs) are natural and rural Living Labs that cover a wide range of hazards with different climate projections, land use and socio-economic characteristics.
OPERANDUM will provide evidence for the usability of NBS, best practices for their design, replication and scalability. It has the following objectives:
- Integrate knowledge about NBS efficacy against hydro-meteorological risks
- Strengthen technology innovation in the area of NBS
- Improvement of acceptance of NBS based implementation
- Enhancement of market demand and increase of competitiveness of NBS
- Strengthening the adoption of NBS in national policies
The project’s approach is based on 10 open-air laboratories. These provide concrete, flexible and transportable frameworks in order to expand the adoption of green/blue/hybrid infrastructures across Europe and in developing countries. The OALs in OPERANDUM demonstrate NBS for different climate change scenarios in Europe. The implemented NBS build upon multi-disciplinary expertise and full understanding of the role of ICT and takes into account market exploitation and national, EU and international policies.
The OPERANDUM project contributes to the implementation of EU policies for disaster risk prevention and climate change adaptation. The following key impacts are expected:
- The mainstreaming of NBS in land use planning
- Development of an integrated EU-wide evidence base and a European reference framework on NBS
- Enhanced market demand for NBS for hydro-meteorological risk reduction and climate change adaptation
- Improved disaster risk management
- Enhanced implementation of EU policies for disaster risk prevention and reduction
- Contribution to the priorities of the EIP Water
- Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) on climate action and improving life on land.